Discover the best selection of paper products from around the world!

GraF it Pads & Andy Warhol!

25 Jun

When these Clairefontaine Vintage Graf it Sketchpads arrived, we were instantly drifting off on a magical pop art daydream with muse Andy Warhol. We believe he would favor these sketchpads, as they’re perfect for bold prints, fine ornate drawings, or loose wacky lines. The heavy 41 lb. paper holds lots of color and is perfect for quick experiments with mixed media. We think he’d also get a kick that the covers are such a high-five to his style, giving each GraF it Pad holder their own 15 minutes of fame. With many cover colors, prints, bold retro typography, and 4 sizes, they’ve got lots of personality, just like him. Shop Clairefontaine GraF It Pads »

Here are our staff’s fave facts about Andy…

Andy was born Andrew Warhola on August 6th, 1928.

He contracted Sydenham’s chorea when he was a young boy, and his artistic mother encouraged him to pursue creating art while he was sick. Foreshadowing his future subjects, he started to collect pictures of movie stars. He would grow up to print celebrity works of Marilyn Monroe, Marlon Brando, Muhammad Ali, Elvis Presley and Elizabeth Taylor.

He was an art editor for his college’s student magazine, and broke into his wild world with a first job for Glamour magazine. First assignment : “Success is a Job in New York.”

Over a decade, Warhol worked for Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, The New Yorker, and more high-profile clients.

His favorite thing to buy was underwear.

Warhol believed his gray hair in his 20′s helped people notice his youthful good looks.

He was a self-proclaimed “mama’s boy.” His mother collaborated on many of his artworks, and even signed his pieces sometimes.

Andy rented an abandoned firehouse as a painting studio in his early days, later moving up to the iconic Factory.

He was a regular volunteer for a homeless shelter while in New York City.

Andy was shot by a feminist three times in 1968. He was pronounced dead upon arrival to the hospital, but later revived after intense surgery.

He was audited every year from 1972 until his death in 1987.

From the ’50s through the ’70s, Andy always kept a cardboard box beside his desk that he would fill with interesting ephemera. When they were full, he’d close and date them. By the time Andy passed away, he had assembled over 600 of these “time capsules.”

They’re fascinating! See the 21st time capsule here »

Salvador Dali once gave Warhol his used color palettes, he put them in a time capsule.

In the 80′s Warhol guest-starred in the 200th episode of The Love Boat. He was represented by a modeling agency, appeared in a Diet Coke commercial, and purchased 2000 bottles of Dom Pérignon to celebrate the new millennium.

The Andy Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania is the largest museum in the United States of America which is dedicated to a single artist.

For more, check out 82 Things You Didn’t Know About Andy Warhol. Find the car print here.